Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guardian Build: Support (80)

3 posters

Go down

Guardian Build: Support (80) Empty Guardian Build: Support (80)

Post by azacar Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:58 am

Introduction

Guardians are devoted fighters who protect their allies and smite their enemies by drawing from the power of their virtues. True guardians are brilliant tacticians and selfless defenders who know when to sacrifice their own defenses to empower their allies to achieve victory.

With this in mind I set about creating a build for myself that enpowered my allies while not necessarily sacrficing my own defenses, as I wanted to help out as much as possible (Old monk mentality from GW1). Areas I was interested in doing at the time were the Ascolonian Catacombs and WvW. Over time this faded as my interests changed but the build remained the same and is still going strong (at least for me) 5 months down the line.

Weapons:

Greatsword:
Main attack weapon when soloing/collecting resources. Not really used in used in team fights unless Im trying to draw aggro from mobs.
Power, toughness and healing power stats cobined wih a rune that heals me for enemy slain.

1. Strike>Vengeful Strike>Wrathful Strike
Standard attack chain that gives might for every enemy you hit with Wrathful Strike.

2.Whirling Wrath
Spin on the spot hurling projectiles from your greatsword. Great little attack that lets you hit loads of mobs around you, especially if you pull them with Binding Blades. Also is a combo finisher: Whirl

3.Leap of Faith
Launch towards an enemy causing blindness in the foe hit and others around it. Used to help out your team or get you into a fight quickly. Again useful when used after Binding Blades. Also is a combo finisher: Leap

4.Symbol of Wrath
Pierces the ground with the greatsword to create a symbol that damages enemies and grants retaliation to nearby allies. Not a particularly large area of effect but (again) effective after using Binding Blades. Also is a combo field: Light

5.Binding Blades>Pull
Ahh the bread and butter of the Greatsword (imo). Sends out 5 blades that damages enemies and grants damage over time if you stay within the area of effect and not pull them towards you. Changes to Pull which will pull (surprisingly) the enemies you have caught towards you as long as there is no objects in the way. Incrediably useful for the above skills and getting mobs off of vulnerable team members, as well as granting more damage per second against boss' that cant be pulled. Also is a combo finisher: Whirl

Scepter and Shield:
One of the guardians ranged choices that allows a shield to be used in the off hand. Its main attack isnt the best compared to the staff but skills make up for it as well as the ability to hold a shield for added survivability. Both have power, toughness and healing power stats.
Scepter has +10 healing power per kill rune, while the shield has a rune that recharges endurance every time I kill a foe.

1.Orb of Wrath
Slow moving orb that does a little damage. Range 1200

2.Smite
An area of effect (aoe) that hits enemies repeatedly. Used to attack mobs that are grouped up, hopefully drawing some aggro. Range 1200

3.Chains of Light
Immobilizes and makes one enemy vulnerable. Useful for all enemies as it allows yourself and others to hurt the enemy more, even if they are not immobilised. Range 900

4.Shield of Judgement
Projects a wave of energy in front of you that damages enemies and grants protection. Good for helping others protect themselves from enemy damage for a short while as it gives a -33% damage buff. Short range and small area of effect makes positioning key. Range 600

5.Shield of Absorption
Pushes back foes and absorbs projectiles. Can be detonated to heal nearby allies. Useful for reviving people as it pushes the mobs off of you and others or as block to counter a nasty projectile attack coming your way. Healing is also good when allies need a quick refresh. Also is a combo field: Light

Utility skills

6.Signet of Resolve
Massive healing boost that when not recharging will remove a condition every ten seconds

7.Hold the Line (Shout)
Grants protection and regeneration to yourself and neaby allies. Speaks for itself as regen and damage reduction is my main aim. Range 600

8.Stand Your Ground (Shout)
Grants stability and retaliation to yourself and nearby allies. Useful for when allies are under the efects of fear or have been knocked down. Also good to use before a massive attack hits. Range 600

9.Retreat (Shout)
Grants aegis, which blocks one attack, and swiftness (+33% movement speed) to yourself and nearby allies for 22 seconds. Skill that comes into its own when running through dungeons or helping out your allies in a fight. Range 600

10. Summon D Series Golem
Summon a golem for 40 seconds that draws alot of aggro, puts up a (longer) Shield of Absoption and helps with my limited dps. Use when needed as it has a long cooldown period.

Armour
Cleric Draconic armour of Earth:
Armor gives stats to power, toughness and healing power while the superior runes of Earth grant additional toughness, longer protection buffs and magnetic aura when you fall below 20% health (reflects projectiles for 5 seconds)

Traits
Valor: 30
300 toughness, +30% crit damage
1. Valourous Defense - gain aegis (block one attack) when you reach 50% health
2. Strength in Numbers - grants up to +70 toughness to nearby allies based on your level
3. Courageous Return - Virtue of Courage is charged when you rally
4. Honorable Shield - gain 90 toughness when weilding a shield and shield skills recharge 20% quicker
5. Might of the Protector - gain might when blocking attacks
6. Altruistic Healing - heal yourself when you give boons to allies

Honor:30
+300 vitality, +300 healing
1. Vigourous Precision - gain vigor when you dish out a critical
2. Pure of Heart - heal when aegis gets removed
3. Selfless Daring - heal nearby allies at the end of your dodge roll
4. Superior Aria - shouts recharge 20% faster
5. Elusive Power - deal more damage at lower endurance
6. Pure of Voice - allies who recieve benefits of a shout turn one condition into a boon

Virtues:10
+10% boon duration, +10% virtue recharge rate
1. Inspired Virtues - virtues now give additional boons
2. Vengeful - retaliation lasts 25 longer

Stats
Attack - 2.500
Critical Chance - 9%
Armour - 3,375
Health - 15,525
Condition Damage 0%
Healing Power -1,011

Tactics
Traits are tailored around giving me and any allies additional healing, boons and toughness whenever possible. Positioning myself for the best results is a constant battle as I want my shouts to reach as many alllies as possible.

I cant really think of any tips for using the shouts as they are situational in a group battle and is somewhat determined on the skillset of the enemy and those around you. Solo'ing however, churn em out when needed to get some health back, block attacks or add dps.

Dodging is a good way to heal people and yourself so dodge like a champion and remeber to keep using shouts. Shouts can also be used while reviving people so allies still get the benefits even when you are doing your saintly duties.

Ive always seen myself helping people when they need help and hopefully this build reflects that. In my head, the guardian is at the forefront of the battle when needed, tanking large mobs or dangerous enemies, and will switch to the background according to the ebb and flow of battle so their abilties are used as effectively as possible.

If the situation call for ranged attacks hang about with the rest of group if possible so shouts get to many people. When in melee mode aggro as many things as possible so that your group can fight to their maximum potential (you havent got all that armour/toughness for nothing).

Fianally, this build is not meant for dps, crit strikes or condition damage, it is here as a support and while the damage output is low which puts up barriers to aggro'ing, getting in first hits and using all of your abilities at the best possible time will help immensely in any given situation. Be sure to keep an eye on team health, conditions etc and fall back when needed. No point in a dead support :p

If you have any questions or i've missed something or i've done something wrong please feel free to point it out Very Happy
azacar
azacar

Back to top Go down

Guardian Build: Support (80) Empty Re: Guardian Build: Support (80)

Post by Vaderlander Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 am

holy crap azacar this is worthy of going on the website as your blog ?Very Happy do you want that ?
Vaderlander
Vaderlander
Admin
Admin

https://tramadolknights.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by azacar Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:42 am

Yeah can do. We need to talk about that blog, make some guidelines, specifics etc if thats ok
azacar
azacar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaderlander Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:06 am

yeah we should Smile ill whisper you in game
Vaderlander
Vaderlander
Admin
Admin

https://tramadolknights.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldbaby Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Very helpful, since im at the moment lvl70 Guardian, much appreciate !!!
Coldbaby
Coldbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down